Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 84: Why is 'X' the Unknown?

Today I watched a TED talk about the letter 'x' and its function in mathematics.

The 4 minute lecture is presented by Terry Moore, who is "director of the Radius Foundation, a forum for exploring and gaining insight from different worldviews".  Vague descriptions of large organizations always makes me think they are up to no good, like the evil company in Robocop. Super-villain or not, Moore details the interesting history behind mathematics and use of 'x'  as a symbol for the unknown.

I'm not a math person in any way shape or form. I have not been in a math class in over 5 years, and with the exception of the occasional mental math when dividing pizza slices among large groups of friends at birthday parties, I rarely have a need for math. Had this lecture been longer than 4 minutes I would have assumed it would be over my head and I probably would have skipped it.

Like most things in life, I make fun of that which I don't understand


It turns out math, like the best types of horses, is a export of Arabia. Arabians had a word for the unknown, but it didn't transfer to European language easily and thus was converted to "kai", which in turn was shortened to the "x" sound.

Also did you know 'algebra' comes from the Arabic word 'Al-jebr' which means "reunion of broken parts"? I like that way better. They should call it that instead. Okay kids, take out your reunion of broken parts workbook and turn to page 30.  Let's reunite some broken parts.

You can watch the TED talk here

Return to Main Page 

No comments:

Post a Comment