Friday, March 16, 2012

Day 72: Being Elmo

Today I finally watched "Being Elmo", one of the documentaries I've been most excited to watch since starting this project. The film follows Kevin Clash the creator, voice and puppeteer behind Elmo. We learn how Elmo was created, how Kevin got into the world of puppetry, and how his life has changed since Elmo and Sesame Street became international sensations.


What I learned: It was very rewarding learning about Kevin Clash, his life, and his dedication to his craft. The man knew he wanted to work with puppets from a very early age and was willing to tolerate any name calling or misunderstandings that come along with a young black boy wanting to work with "dolls". It was also very cool seeing the process of creating the Elmo character and how much input Clash had.

What I liked: Clash is just an all around cool guy. He comes off as funny, smart, and very hard working. I really appreciated how supportive his family was and is. It wasn't usual for a boy in his time to be so taken with puppetry, but his parents were willing to do whatever they could to help him meet his dreams, and that's awesome.

What I didn't like: I really liked the whole film, but I would have liked to have heard more about Jim Henson. Everyone knows I'm a huge Henson fan, so maybe I should just go watch docs about him. But I just thought he'd play a bigger role in Clash's path to puppets and the rise of Elmo but it felt like Henson was more of a producer than the driving force. Clash seemed more influenced by men like Capt. Kangaroo than Henson.

Obligatory Jim Henson photo

I highly recommend this movie. To anyone who loves Sesame Street, the world of children's entertainment, or watching someone go after their life's dream with unabashed enthusiasm.

Here is the trailer:



The film is currently on Netflix Watch Instant.

Here's Elmo palling around with Ricky Gervais:

Return to the Main Page 

No comments:

Post a Comment