Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 81: The Buddha

Today I watched a documentary on the life and work of Buddha. It was narrated by Richard Gere and featured interviews with various authors, professors, and philosophers.

Richard Gere: A Poor Man's Harrison Ford? 

I've been a Buddhist for about 10 years now. My dad and older sister have both been one since before I can remember. In high school I attended a Buddhist temple in Wichita, KS run by a group of American Buddhist nuns. We would meet in a small, two-room building across the street from a McDonald's.

What I like about Buddhism is the sense of control. I'm in control of my emotions, my attitude, and thus, my future. No higher beings, no sense of predetermination, nothing to worry about but my own actions and consequences. It's also a lot of responsibility.

This documentary was very slow and very hard to get through. I stopped and started it 3 different times. I guess it was because it was so calm and peaceful, as Buddha would be, that it couldn't keep my attention.

We are told the story of Buddha's life; his upbringing as a rich prince, his rejection of material goods and wealth, his search for enlightenment, and his impact on the world. We review the 4 Noble Truths, which are as follows:



Pretty depressing, I'll admit. But the possibility of escaping the trappings of attachment is so present and so seemingly attainable, it keeps one excited to keep trying.

Anyway watch this doc if you want some really basic info on Buddha, and to see some funny clips of The Dalai Lama's adorable broken English.

Adorable and enlightened 

The film is available on Netlfix watch instant. 


No comments:

Post a Comment