Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 69: Lovely Monster

What a piece of crap! "Lovely Monster'" has earned the award for worst documentary I've watched all year!

First of all it's not a documentary, it's a short film. I saw it posted on several different sites listed as a 'doc' and thought, "I'll like anything about monsters!" Oh how wrong I was.

The description is as follows; '"Lovely Monster" tells the true story of Sophia, a young woman dealing with a rare and very dangerous condition." 


Okay so spoiler alert- it's just a weird monster in  her chest. A poorly CGI'd monster that you see for like 3 secs after sitting through a very slow 5 minutes of people talking about how messed up she is. You meet the girl's parents and boyfriend, and there's narration from Sophia about how isolated and alone she feels. If you only watched the first 4 and a half minutes it could be a story about anyone trying to survive being a teenager- awkwardness, uncertainty, low self esteem.  I think the point was to be purposefully vague to create an air of mystery, but all it did for me was build a sense of "okay this is boring."

I wish it had been about the monster inside the dude from Total Recall. I'd watch a movie about him. Does he have to be fed? What does he eat? Does he ever have to go to the bathroom? Does he wear clothes?

He should wear a tiny hat, like a bowler or something


If you want to watch it, it's on vimeo. One thing I thought was interesting was the difference in comments from vimeo and youtube. The comments on vimeo seemed mainly positive, with a lot of focus on how it was shot and less about the plot. Youtubers were much more critical, making fun of how low budget the alien monster thing was. 



No comments:

Post a Comment