Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 41: Let it Be

In the world of documentaries there are going to be the grey areas that not everyone would count as a documentary, or even a real 'film'. Today's one of those days.

I decided to watch The Rooftop Concert because: 1. I love the Beatles. 2. I hadn't listened to them this week yet. 3. I don't know if I'd seen all of it before.


What I learned: Pretty straight forward: after finishing their last album The Beatles surprise the London public with an impromptu rooftop concert. Unbeknownst to the world, this would be their last live show before breaking up. The rest of the film is fly-on-the-wall scenes of the band rehearsing and discussing during their last album's creation.

What I liked: As a life long Beatles fan, I'm always going to love seeing Beatles footage. They could be watching paint dry and I'd still find it entertaining. And that's because they are entertaining. Even towards the end of the band's career, when the bitterness was at its peak, they still could make each other laugh and clearly enjoyed playing together. And of course, how could you not like their clothes and facial hair?


What I didn't like: I know the concert is the whole point of the whole film, but the sound quality is sub-par. I guess if I wanted to hear the songs I'd just listen to the albums. The point of the video is to show them and the affect they can have on the audiences. 

Really cool film and not very long at all. I highly recommend it. 

It can be found here: 


While we're at it, check out Paul's performance at the White House last year for the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. Foo Fighters, Jack White, Stevie Wonder and...a Jonas Brother? Who let him in? 

No comments:

Post a Comment