Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 38: Mythology of Star Wars

In honor of Phantom Menace returning to theaters this weekend, I watched a Star Wars doc.

Unlike most die-hard SW fans, I don't posses the complicated love-hate relationship with George Lucas. In my eyes, he made the films, they are his ideas, so he can do what he wants with them. Are the prequels bad movies? Yes, very bad. But that's his choice to make bad movies. Fanboys don't have the right to keep Lucas from doing what he wants. Mainly, keep making a sick amount of money.

Pictured: A ruthless, cold blooded egomaniac. And Bobba Fett.

It does show how much the SW story has impacted America, pop or otherwise. These movies have become so much of people's lives they become defensive when the films are modified, or sullied by sub-par prequels. It's not just a defense of the movies, but of the larger cultural landscape they are a part of.

While fanboys are worried about the legacy of SW, this documentary examines its past; influences, references, and inspirations. George is interviewed at Skywalker Ranch by journalist Bill Moyers.

What I learned: I didn't realize how much of the film pulled from traditional, well known folk lore. A lot of Greek and Roman mythology influenced the film and its characters. I had heard theories about SW being influenced by mythology but it was cool hearing it straight from the source.

What I liked: My love for Bill Moyers grows and grows. Not only is he an outstanding journalist, but he's an amazing interviewer. As someone who follows interviewers like most people follow athletes, I have learned to tell who is invested in the conversation and who is just phoning it in. Moyers if firing on all cylinders; asking good questions, keeping the pandering and celeb. worshiping to a minimum, injecting just the right amount of personality to keep things interesting but not distract from the interviewee.

Keep playing it cool, Billy.


What I didn't like: I wasn't that impressed with Lucas. I have only seen a few interviews with him in the past. As one of the most hated figures in nerd culture, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt before forming an opinion of him. Instead of coming off as cocky, conceited, or out of touch, as most of his critics condemn him for, I just found him kinda of boring. I thought he'd discuss more about the cultural inspirations for the films, and instead spent more of the time talking about what was inspiring him personally while he was writing the story. Interesting, but not what I was looking for.

I go to the theater with very low expectations. I haven't seen Phantom Menace in like 5 years, for a reason; it's the worst of the prequels. But like every fanboy, I don't have a choice; I have to go. They could fill the seats with razor blades and sneeze on my popcorn but if Stars Wars is in the theaters I have to go.

Don't know what else to post here so I'll include Imperial March on a Tesla Coil:

The film can be watched here: 

No comments:

Post a Comment