Thursday, February 9, 2012

Book 1: The Prestige

So we are 6 weeks into the new year and I've read a book a week. I'm overjoyed that I added this addendum to my resolution. Combined with the films, the books have added a shot in the arm to my waning thirst for knowledge. I can already feel it growing stronger.

I had no idea that The Prestige, one of my all time favorite movies, was based on a book. I found out 3 weeks ago, and raced to the public to find a copy. Like an excited child on Christmas Eve, I eagerly waited for the book's arrival. I finished the 300-pager in about 4 days.

SPOILERS ahead; the movie is so good if you haven't seen it, don't read this. Go watch it first! I'm not even gonna include a synopsis; go watch the movie.

The book is remarkably different than the film (or vice-versa?). They almost immediately introduce the idea that Alfred Borden is a secretly a set of twins, and that is the root of his famous trick. The story revolves more around Angier and his struggles to overcome his feud with Borden and focus on his own career and family.

What I like about both: I love the themes represented. Like my other favorite movie, Amadeus, this stpry is so rich in ideas I could take it in once a month and still find it thought-provoking. Both explore themes about art vs. entertainment, rivalry and competition, and jealousy. These are topics I could discuss for ages, as they come up almost daily in my own life.

What I like about the book: As is the case with most books to movies, the book provides WAY more character development. In two specific areas; Angier's wife and the feud between Angier and Borden. Unlike the film, Angier's wife is not killed by Borden's recklessness, and remains a consistent character throughout. She is a strong, smart female character; one I wish we saw more of in books and especially movies. She actively encourages Angier's career, even though it requires him to spend time away from the family, and takes the family's misfortunes head on without losing her cool.

The feud too is given a much more developed relationship. While in the movie it fuels itself through equal parts rage and jealously, the book fuels it more with bad timing and miscommunication. Both characters repeatedly regret ever starting the feud, going so far as to reach out to apologize to the other. But their timing is always off, and the other magician furiously rejects the offer in turn. This adds a sense of tragedy to the story; Angier at one point admits that they would have made better friends than enemies.

What I liked about the movie: There are certain things that cannot be properly expressed in words, and it turns out that magic tricks are one of those things. A very talented writer, Christopher Priest is still unable to capture the awe and grandeur that accompanies a live magic show. The film, directed by Chris Nolan, does an incredible job of capturing it, while also telling the overall story flawlessly. The movie itself serves as one giant magic trick full of misdirection and a twisting surprise.

Overall, I think the movie did a better job bringing the story of two feuding magicians to life. But if you want a more in-depth knowledge of the characters, read the book.


Here's a good example of how the movie's style sells the magic in a way the book can't. But, watching this again now that I've read the book, I like it twice as much. 

Read it?: Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment