Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 36: Appalachian Trail

The last "real" vacation I went on was to New Mexico in 2009. I count 'real' vacations as trips to a specific place not to meet someone who lives there, or for an event taking place there, but to enjoy the place for what it is. And as someone who loves to travel, 2009 feels like a hundred years ago.

Jonny and I watched a doc about the Appalachian Trail and it was pretty interesting. Part of the National Geographic collection, this 50 minute film focused on the winding trail and the people who dare to travel it. It's a good 6 months to take the full hike from one end to another, and goes through 14 states from Georgia to Maine. I can honestly say I'll never be in good enough shape, have the patience or the time, and the know how to do this hike, but maybe I could tackle a section or two.

What I learned: Not a lot of factual information presented; it centered on a handful of enthusiastic nature lovers experiencing the trail in various segments. I do feel like I learned about the various climates and geographical regions I'd encounter along the way.

What I liked: It was breathtaking. It's close minded to ever think 'if you've seen one mountain you've seen them all". Some of the most beautiful views I've ever seen. I'd love to see them all in person someday.

What I didn't like: A minor critique but we both agreed we would have enjoyed checking in with the same few hikers throughout their journey rather than a bunch of hikers only once. I would love to see how their attitudes change throughout the experience, if they start to doubt themselves at all, and how the environment impacts their views.

Also, I hate to admit this but I was secretly hoping they'd introduce us to some delightfully terrible mountain folk. Like most of America I harbor ridiculous stereotypes about Appalachian people and I wanted to see if they really existed like I see them in my head.

You know, like this:

You can watch this doc on Netflix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment