Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 26: Dear Zachary: A Letter to A Son About His Father

Whew boy. When my friend Dylan told me this movie was gonna hit me hard, he wasn't joking. Reading this will not even come close to capturing the intensity of this film, so just go watch it. Then read this, I guess.

I usually go out of my way to avoid sad films. I have no problem watching movies that make me mad, or make me uncomfortable, or even movies I don't understand. But I've never felt good about watching a movie I know will make me sad. The world is sad enough, I don't need to make myself any sadder.

But that's what this whole experiment is about; stepping out of my comfort zone, pointing myself in new directions, taking on new things. And in the case of this film, I'm glad I did.

The film tells the story of a young man, Andrew Bagby, who was killed by his ex-girlfriend, a troubled woman with a history of emotionally instability. The film is a tribute to Andrew, produced and filmed by his life long friend. Home movies and interviews with friends and family help paint a detailed picture of who Andrew was and how he impacted those around him.

The film is also about Andrew's killer, her murder trial, and her shocking reveal: she's pregnant with Andrew's baby. Thus the film becomes a video letter to that child, Zachary, about a man he would never meet; his father.

What I liked: Though the film is intended to be a loving tribute to Andrew, I instantly fell in love with his parents David and Kathleen. They were warm, loving, wonderful people, and throughout the film you develop a lot of respect for them, if for no other reason than the fact that they are still alive. In a shocking moment early in the film, David is asked what went through his mind after identifying his son's body at the morgue: "We thought we'd go get Andrew, bring him back to California, get everything organized or whatever, and then kill ourselves, because no point going on. That was the first plan."

So to really understand these parents I feel the need to sum up a bit more of the plot: Andrew was dating this woman, Shirley Turner, but broke up with her when she began calling him obsessively. She did not take the breakup well, drove across the country to find him, and shot him dead in a park. While undergoing her trial for his murder, she announced to his friends and family that she was pregnant with his son.

David and Kathleen are now in the most unbelievable, unthinkable situation imaginable; their son's killer is their only link to their only grandson. They sell their home and move to Canada, hoping to become regular fixtures in the child's life. They actually being coordinating with Turner for shared custody with Zachary. They talk and spend time together. How this is even possible is beyond me. I couldn't do it, that's for sure.

And then halfway through the movie, we are hit with another terrible twist. I won't spoil it but I'll just say; just when you think you don't have anything else to lose, you can still lose more.

Despite their loss, they remain good, strong people, and continue to try to make the best possible world they can.

What I didn't like: Nothing about the film, but damn, a lot about real life. Why do terrible things happen to good people? People who never did anything to anyone- why do they get so punished sometimes? This film really made me question traditional ideas about fate, destiny, a benevolent God, and more directly, the effectiveness of our legal system.

The film itself is unremarkable; made my a 2nd rate filmmaker on a very small budget. But the story and the questions it raises are so important to hear. Guys, just go watch this please. That's all I can say.

Here is the trailer:


It's on Netflix instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment