Thursday, January 26, 2012

Day 24: Nature's Deadliest Brazil

Ugh, I hate to follow such an awesome doc as yesterday's with a dull episode of ND. But I didn't have time to watch a full length doc today so I had to pick something short.

I watched one of these eps last week and was less than impressed (still trying to figure out what being the 'driest place on Earth' really means), and thought the other episodes would be better. I was wrong; this one was even worse. The same cheesy graphics, overly dramatic narrator, and weird, unsettling re-enactments.  The scenes of people being bit and attacked were just a little too real for my taste. It felt less like a nature doc and more like a snuff film.

What I learned: Snakes are mean, watch out for bees, and don't trust sharks.

What I liked: Well no matter how bad a film is, it can't stop me from loving nature. Even when it's painted as a villain I'm still in awe over it's power and complexity.

What I didn't like: Man, the re-enactment scenes. I hate to harp on them, but I've never seen scenes that made me so uncomfortable. The people are just supposed to be stand-ins, props to be used at the animal's discretion to show off their might and power. But they purposefully picked the saddest most pitiful examples of people to be attacked. For the segment about Africanized killer bees, they picked a little kid, innocently walking through the woods. Sorry dude, I'm out. I'm not gonna sit here and watch a kid get stung to death by a swarm of killer bees. This is a nature documentary not an Eli Roth movie.

You could watch this on Netflix, or you could watch this 10 second clip about bees and probably learn about as much:
Prof. Cage on the perils of bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment