Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 1: Fishing With John

Day 1 of a new adventure!

To preface, I chose this new year's resolution for a couple reasons:
1. I love documentaries.
2. I'm not in school right now, and I can feel my brain turning to mush.
3. I spend so much of my free time online anyway, I figured I should put it to good use.

But the main reason is I want to make my own documentary. I thought watching a bunch would help inspire me to make it.

Hopefully this whole thing will widen my view of the world and get me interested in new events, objects, and hobbies.

Anyway, for the first day I watched Episode 1 of the 6-episode series Fishing With John. Actor and musician John Lurie invites his celebrity friends on fishing adventures around the world. I had heard these were weird, but I wasn't prepared for how weird it really was: strange music, no discernible plot, sparse dialogue, and the oddest narration I've ever heard. That being said, I loved it. This episode featured director (and Lee Marvin look-alike) Jim Jarmusch hunting for sharks. Future episodes star Tom Waits, Dennis Hopper, Willem Dafoe and Matt Dillon. 
http://freedocumentariesonline.org/fishing-with-john-%E2%80%93-criterion-collection/

No comments:

Post a Comment