Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 14: Awesome, I F*cking Shot That

After the super-depressing movie yesterday, I decided I needed to take it easy today and watch something easy and fun. I turned to an old standby, the 2006 Beastie Boy's concert documentary 'Awesome, I F*cking Shot That'. This doc's a twofer for me: not only is it the first concert doc I've reviewed this year, it's also the first one I've already seen before.

The premise is simple: before their concert at Madison Square Garden, the Beastie Boys passed out camcorders to audience members and asked them to shoot the show. The tapes were edited, and this doc was released.

So it's 90% footage of them rapping, then every once in a while the cameras show a screaming fan or a dude throwing up a rock fist. One dude takes the camera to the urinal.

What I learned: Umm...I don't think I walked away with a single new piece of information.

What I liked: The Beastie Boys. I've been a fan for a long time, but this was what really helped me see how smart and talented they were. Beyond rapping they're talented musicians, and perform a few instrumental numbers. I've since bought their two instrumental albums and like them more than their usual stuff. I also appreciate the concept of the film, it's editing, and direction which was done/supervised by the 3 Boys.

What I didn't like: Though I loved the idea of seeing their show through the eyes of the crowd, I didn't get much out of it. A few shots of the crowd dancing, and some shallow commentary (one guy said "we're gonna be on a dvd!" like 6 times throughout the show), and that was it. Maybe they could have thrown in some audience interviews or something?

Then again, the few times we get to see the audience, they don't strike me as people who I'd want to hear elaborate on their world views. Not to generalize, but most of the people at the show seemed more like "Fight for Your Right" fans and less "Something's Gotta Give" fans.

Anyway, check it out if you like the Beasties and loud New Yorkers.

Watch it Here

Read How The Beasties Really Feel About 'Fight For Your Right'

And watch my favorite Beasties song/video

No comments:

Post a Comment