Friday, June 29, 2012

Learning to Laugh

Today I watched a short lecture on laughter and how it affects the brain.

The video is from the UCL Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience, specifically Professor Sophie Scott. The video isn't very long, like 5 mins, but it feels more like an advertisement for UCL than on the topic of comedy and the brain.

It discusses how the brain reacts to laughter, why we find laughter to be contagious, and some broader exploration into what purposes laughter and comedy serve. But it felt like every other sentence started with "We here at UCL" or "Thanks to the hard work of our crack team of scientists, we've discovered...." blah blah blah. I was just hoping they'd dive into the topic more than they did.

I think I love thinking about comedy more than actually doing it; comedic theory is endlessly fascinating to me. Someone once said "laughter is the body's response to something it doesn't understand". That's why so many funny things revolve around surprise or the unexpected.

I expected this to be better than it was. You can watch it here:



No comments:

Post a Comment