Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 217: Raising an Olympian

Today I watched a short film about Olympian Gabby Douglas and her family.

As I've stated, the Olympics aren't really my thing. Just like regular sports, it's not that I don't like them, it's that it never holds my attention for more than five minutes at a time. But I do find certain aspects of it interesting. Gabby Douglas is not someone I knew, but I had heard her name thrown around a lot during this year's games. Seems like she's kicking ass.

So this is about her drive and determination to get to the Olympics, and what her family did to help make it happen. She decided she wanted to be trained by world famous Olympic trainer, so her family let her move across the country as a 16-year old to train. She stayed with a host family and probably trained her ass off. Now she's at the Olympics, where she's kicking ass.

The film is an ongoing series by Proctor and Gamble about Olympian mothers, and how much moms help their kids achieve their dreams, blah blah blah. Whenever large corporations start talking about how much they love and cherish families and how important it is to go after your dreams, my eyes start to glaze over. Companies like P&G don't give a shit about families. They care about money. They are saying nice, saccharine things to put you in a good mood so you'll buy more baby wipes, or whatever it is they sell.

That being said, it was a nice video and it put me in a good mood.



No comments:

Post a Comment