Wednesday, June 6, 2012

There and Back Again: A Packet's Tale

Today I watched a film on how the internet shares information across the world.

If it wasn't for the internet, this would have never happened

The World Science Festival (which put on this awesome book discussion I talked about a few months ago-here) teaches us how the internet works. I honestly never knew how the internet worked, nor did I particularly care. I assumed it'd be over my head, and even if I could understand it, it'd be a very dry and technical explanation. I was right on both counts.

So when you access a website, it must first request the proper information from the site's servers, which would be anywhere in the world. The servers compile the proper information to form the website, then send it back in complicated 'packets' of information to your computer. It travels through a series of cables, sometimes above ground and sometimes underwater.

I learned something, and it's presented in a cool, interesting way. And I love "A Packet's Tale"- totally sounds like it could be a Disney/Pixar movie.

You can watch it here:


Return to Main Page

No comments:

Post a Comment