Monday, June 18, 2012

Occupy Documentary

Today I watched a documentary about the Occupy Chicago protests. The film was created by fellow protesters. I was hoping the film would dive into some of the deeper motives behind the protests, but the 20 minute film instead merely skimmed the surface of the issues.

Not sure if you can read the text. It basically says "Capitalism Sucks"

I am a supporter of the Occupy movement. Had I been alive during the 60's I would have supported all the protests that were happening then as well. I think protesting is a given right that should be exercised frequently. To not protest means there's nothing that could be improved, reformed, or left to discuss as a country. I support the rights of all protesters, even Westboro Church and the Tea Party Movement. As Voltaire once said, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to your death the right to say it."

But I take issue with those who only protest. Protesting, though a good starting point, will rarely create enough of the change needed to make a difference. Protesting is the ignition- the spark that can get bigger, more sustainable actions underway. It's biggest functions are to: 1. highlight a problem. 2. Address it. 3. Inform others. 4. Prove that no one is alone in opposing it. 5. Rally around a common solution.

That's where I take issue with this documentary. It's supposed to be an official product of the Occupy movement, but it barely dives into the real problems that Occupy should be addressing. It shows footage of the thousand-strong crowds, of the the police barricades and the clashes that ensue. But there's little time spent on the big, looming question: what comes after the protests? Where do we go from here?

Maybe I'm not the intended audience. I am already on board, and sympathetic to the cause. Maybe this is more for the fence sitters who are still believing the outdated stereotypes about the kinds of people who protest. But eventually enough of the population will start to favor the cause, and will want to know that there are steps in place to take us off the streets and into the next phase, whatever that might be.

Overall the documentary is fine for what it is, but I am still looking for more.

You can watch it on Vimeo here.

Return to Main Page

No comments:

Post a Comment