Thursday, June 14, 2012

Running Man Documentary #2

Today I watched the second documentary on the 'Running Man' Dvd. If you've never seen the movie, it's awesome. Seriously one of my top 5 favorite Arnold movies (up there with Total Recall, 6th Day, and Kindergarten  Cop).

This documentary is about the current police state within America. I thought this was a pretty interesting subject choice for something as relatively shallow as a Schwarzenegger movie, even considering its relation to the movie's subject matter. Why take a cheesy 80's movie and make it a platform to preach your political views? What do you gain? You just run the risk of alienating audience members. Plus the obvious fact that Arnold's a committed Republican...

That being said, most of the documentary was in line with my own views, so I was willing to let that slide. The film mainly focuses on the Patriot Act, and the many many ways it impedes upon and invades our civil liberties. I could stand on my soap box and wail about the amazing injustice we call the Patriot Act, but I won't. 

I'll just say this- are we safer than we were before 9/11? Are these extreme measures (wire tappings, illegal searches, detainment without trial) making a noticeable difference in our safety? Or even our perception of safety? There's a difference between being safe and feeling safe. In my opinion Americans have given up a lot of freedoms without gaining any stronger sense of safety. 

Anyway, as far as political docs go, this is not the most hard hitting or informative. But considering it's 20 mins on the 2nd disc of a Arnold movie, it isn't that bad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment