Friday, March 2, 2012

Day 58: Dave Chappelle Inside the Actor's Studio

Today I watched an episode of 'Inside the Actor's Studio' with Dave Chappelle. I had never watched the show before but I've been a huge Chappelle fan for years and heard he gave a great interview.
I've liked Chappelle since I first saw him back in Men in Tights. His two standup specials, 'For What It's Worth' and 'Killing Them Softly" are some of the smartest, funniest sets I've ever seen. I put him up there with Steve Martin, Jerry Seinfeld and Louis CK as one of the stand up greats.

For a joke about peeing on people, it's pretty smart
I'd never watched ItAS before because it was so hard to find full episodes online. They've had just about everyone under the sun on that show and there are plenty I'd like to watch. The only reason I found this one was because my brother showed it to me.
What I learned: I didn't know that both his parent's were university professors or that he had attended a performing arts high school to study theater. I knew he grew up in DC and had experiences with drug dealers and rough neighborhoods, which he talks about more here.
What I liked: Dave's intelligence really shines through. I think there's a strong relationship between comedic talent and intelligence; you have to be smart to be funny, even (or especially) when playing dumb comedy. Dave has always put messages in his comedy. Typically its commentary on race or the societal
differences between men and women. But one of his favorite topics is celebrity in America. His standup is littered with allusions to how difficult it is to be a celebrity in our current culture, and a majority of the interview is devoted to thoughts about our obsession with famous people and how it hurts all of society.
After his much publicized break with Comedy Central, he traveled to Africa to regain his composure. While  he was gone the American media had a field day with wild claims that he had developed a heroin addiction or had abandoned his family and fled the country. The truth, as it almost always is, was much less sensational. Dave says he felt betrayed by the media, and the public that believed them, and it's affected how much he wants to return to the limelight.
Why do we do this to our celebs? We hoist them up to unbelievable pedestals then tear them apart the minute they begin to falter. Look at our treatment of Brittney Spears, Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston. I don't think it's easy to process what fame does to your pysche, and it's no wonder so many stars flip out or melt down. I'm not saying celebs always deserve a pity party. Most of them have money beyond my wildest dreams and get to experience things we mere mortals only dream of. But we should put more thought into the toll that fame takes on a person, and maybe a bit more sympathy when they crack under the pressure.
I highly suggest this episode. Not only is it funny but it's a great discussion about celebrities and their role in our culture.

You can watch it all on youtube here: 






Return to Main Site 

No comments:

Post a Comment